I am very happy and proud to hear that Mae Ozkan and her team at GoldenHorn Ventures have put together a conference: Venture Capital in Emerging Markets (http://emergetechvc.com) to be held on the 9 - 10 June, 2008 in Istanbul, Turkey.
For registration, please visit the:
Venture Capital in Emerging Markets Registration Page
Hosted by GoldenHorn Ventures, I'm very curious to see the spectacular things that will get started as a result of this first conference. This is truly great news for Turkey, the Turkish VC industry, and Turkish entrepreneurship.
From their website:
This, therefore, seems an excellent moment in time to bring together an international group of business and investor practitioners – some “old hands” at business creation and financing, others, enthusiastic to learn and participate, and to develop a clearer understanding of what is going on in emerging markets, what best practices can be adopted and how knowledge and expertise can be transferred with the support of public and private interests, institutions and businesses, to oil the wheels and enable more effective progress for the good of all.
Please forward this post on to those who you feel may be interested.
Who Should Attend?
- Entrepreneurs with a serious interest in early stage business and entrepreneurial finance in emerging markets
- National and International Investors and those advising investors in larger funds on capital allocations
- Banking Leaders
- Executives of Multinational Corporations with strategic decision responsibility for the development of Emerging Markets
- Leaders of Institutions, such as Universities and Business Schools with special interests in business creation, technology transfer and entrepreneurial finance
- Those in Government and key regional development agencies concerned with economic development and business and job creation
The Agenda will be as follows:
9:30 - 10:00 Registration and Coffee
10:00 - 11:00 Welcome and Introductory talk
11:30 - 12:30 The Nature of Financing in Emerging Markets
- What would make a qualified VC from LP point of view?
- Is the model of funding right? ( from an LP point of view) What else is missing? How can it be improved?
- What could be done to create a VC environment in emerging markets?
- What role each party wants to play in the regions?
12:30 - 14:00 Lunch
14:00 - 15:00 Problems of emerging market entrepreneurs
- What are the common mistakes of Venture Capitalists in the Emerging markets?
- Why do they fail?
15:00 - 16:30 Networking time or "chat" groups around specific topics
- Company going global
- Fundraising Tips from LPs, New Model suggestions from Fund Managers
- Managing Portfolio Companies
- How to exchange information for more Success Stories
16:30 - 17:30 View from local VC'S; what is it they are doing right/wrong, strategies, commonalities between emerging market conditions
- What are the Investment Strategies?
- What do we need to make success stories? Is it the fundraising/ dealflow/ managing portfolio companies/ exits the most time consuming? / where you need partners / help?
- What are the wrong models for venture capital in emerging markets?
- What are the right strategies for venture capital in emerging markets, which brought success to your companies?
Free time until dinner for "networking"/marketplace activities
20:00 - 22:00 Dinner and Networking Events
9:30 - 10:30 The ecology of emerging markets
11:00 -12:00 Angel Networking and cross-border angel activities
Labels: Conferences, Golden Horn Ventures